Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Land Raider Achilles......why I love thee


The Land Raider Achilles.......loved by some, berated by others. I personally think it is an awesome tank. Yes it lacks the transport capacity of the other Land Raiders and yes it is expensive points wise, but I still think it gets the job done. Here are some of the reasons why I like this bad boy:

- Harder to kill with Melta Weapons. Melta weapons are all the rage right now. Melta Weapons are quite often cheap but very deadly at close range. The look on your opponents face will be priceless when he doesn't get to roll his extra die for armor penetration.

- A thunderfire that can move and shoot........awesome. A weapon that is quite often overlooked, the Thunderfire cannon can obliterate squads of infantry. It gets even nastier when you fight armies with low toughness and low armor saves.

- Bullet magnet. I love the feeling of throwing out something big and shiny to shoot at and watching my opponent take the bait. If an opponent is going to waste all of his time shooting the Achilles then he wont be shooting at the rest of my army. This can give you time to maneuver your forces into proper position and blow your opponent away.

-If looks could kill. The models just looks amazing. Even more so in person. It can get a bit expensive but putting this bad boy together is pretty easy and it looks magnificent. Now if I could only get some paint on mine.

- Put a little surprise inside. Just because it doesn't have the capacity of other Land Raiders does not mean you should leave it empty. Try something like a cheap scout squad inside. In a pinch you can have them pop out and take an objective while the Achilles backs them up with it's anti-tank and anti-infantry firepower.

Well there is my $.02 on the Land Raider Achilles. Hope you enjoyed them!

1 comment:

  1. You sir, have an odd way of answering your commenters. :) I do enjoy your take on it, but I was curious about specific instances you've used it where it was game changing. I'm considering this as my first Forge World model, though being an unemployed student, I want to make sure it's worth my few monies.

    I just want to hear specifically how you've used it and what it's accomplished. All I've found officially on record are its failings and I want to hear about its sucesses and how you've found good uses for it when it's armaments are at complete odds with one another. The multimeltas are short ranged AT while the TFC is long ranged anti-infantry. It all sounds great on paper, but I'd like to hear how it stacks up on the table.

    And heck, throw some pictures up of yours. I run a mostly sprue-grey army right now, so I'm not offended. I just can't get a good feel for the model when it's painted like a 70's Cadillac. :P

    Thanks for this article, which I presume is a response, and I look forward to hearing more from you. Heck, shoot me an email or throw down a retrun book-length comment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete